Suicides

FILE - In this Aug. 13, 2014, file photo Edward Crawford Jr., returns a tear gas canister fired by police who were trying to disperse protesters in Ferguson, Mo. Six young men with connections to the Ferguson protests, including Crawford, have died, drawing attention on social media and speculation in the activist community that something sinister is at play. Police say there is no evidence the deaths have anything to do with the protests and note that only two were homicides. But activists and observers remain puzzled and wonder if they'll ever get answers. Crawford fatally shot himself in May 2017 after telling acquaintances he had been distraught over personal issues, police said. (Robert Cohen/St. Louis Post-Dispatch via AP, File)
March 17, 2019 - 4:43 pm
FERGUSON, Mo. (AP) — Two young men were found dead inside torched cars. Three others died of apparent suicides. Another collapsed on a bus, his death ruled an overdose. Six deaths, all involving men with connections to protests in Ferguson, Missouri, drew attention on social media and speculation...
Read More
FILE - In this Sept. 5, 2012 file photo, New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez speaks in the locker room at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass. Massachusetts' highest court on Wednesday, March 13, 2019, reinstated Hernandez's murder conviction, scrapping a legal principle that had erased it after he killed himself in prison in April 2017. Hernandez had been found guilty in 2015 of killing semi-professional football player Odin Lloyd. Two years later, the 27-year-old was found dead in his prison cell days after being acquitted of most charges in a separate double-murder case. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola, File)
March 13, 2019 - 12:01 pm
BOSTON (AP) — Aaron Hernandez's murder conviction was reinstated Wednesday in a sweeping ruling from Massachusetts' highest court that does away with the legal principle that made the former NFL star innocent in the eyes of the law after he killed himself in prison. The Supreme Judicial Court...
Read More
Police officers stand guard near the house of an Islamic militant in Sibologa, North Sumatra, Indonesia, Wednesday, March 13, 2019. The wife and child of an arrested Islamic militant who was plotting attacks in the Indonesian capital have died in an explosion during a siege of their home in North Sumatra, the national police chief said Wednesday.(AP Photo)
March 13, 2019 - 11:31 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) — The wife of an Islamic militant arrested for plotting attacks in the Indonesian capital detonated a bomb during a siege of their home in North Sumatra, killing herself and her two-year-old child, the national police said Wednesday. The woman is believed to have blown...
Read More
This Feb. 17, 2019 photo shows a model wearing a creation by Burberry at the Autumn/Winter 2019 fashion week runway show in London. The chief executive and chief creative officer of luxury powerhouse Burberry have apologized for putting a hoodie with strings tied in the shape of a noose on their London Fashion Week runway. Marco Gobbetti, the brand’s CEO, said in a statement that Burberry is “deeply sorry for the distress” the shirt has caused and has removed it from the autumn-winter collection. Riccardo Tisci, Burberry’s creative director, also apologized. He said “while the design was inspired by a nautical theme, I realize that it was insensitive.” (Photo by Vianney Le Caer/Invision/AP)
February 19, 2019 - 5:33 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — The chief executive and chief creative officer of luxury fashion powerhouse Burberry have apologized for putting a hoodie with strings tied in the shape of a noose on their London Fashion Week runway. The knotted strings surfaced after Sunday's show when a model hired to walk (but...
Read More
FILE - In a Thursday, Aug. 3, 2017 file photo, Michelle Carter awaits her sentencing in a courtroom in Taunton, Mass., for involuntary manslaughter for encouraging Conrad Roy III to kill himself in July 2014. Prosecutors are asking a judge to order Michelle Carter to begin serving her 15-month jail sentence for encouraging her suicidal boyfriend to kill himself. Michelle Carter will appear in court Monday, Feb. 11, 2019 for a hearing to consider prosecutors’ request. (Matt West/The Boston Herald via AP, Pool, File)
February 11, 2019 - 2:15 pm
TAUNTON, Mass. (AP) — A Massachusetts woman who sent her suicidal boyfriend a barrage of text messages urging him to kill himself was jailed Monday on an involuntary manslaughter conviction nearly five years after he died in a truck filled with toxic gas. Michelle Carter was sentenced to 15 months...
Read More
FILE - In this Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2019, file photo, Linda Beigel Schulman, left, holds a photograph of her son Scott Beigel, who was killed during the Valentine’s Day massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, while speaking with New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and gun safety advocates during a news conference at the state Capitol in Albany, N.Y. Since the shooting, states have seen a surge of interest in laws intended to make it easier to disarm people who show signs of being violent or suicidal. (AP Photo/Hans Pennink, File)
February 10, 2019 - 7:00 am
In the year since the deadly mass shooting at a Florida high school, more and more states have passed laws making it easier to take guns away from people who may be suicidal or bent on violence against others, and courts are issuing an unprecedented number of seizure orders across the country...
Read More
FILE - In this June 8, 2017 file photo, Michelle Carter sits in Taunton District Court in Taunton, Mass. Carter was convicted of involuntary manslaughter and sentenced to prison for encouraging 18-year-old Conrad Roy, III to kill himself in July 2014. The Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts is expected to release it's ruling in the case on Wednesday, Feb. 6, 2019. Her sentence was put on hold while the court reviewed the case and the defense argument that her actions were not criminal. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa, Pool, File)
February 06, 2019 - 12:57 pm
BOSTON (AP) — A young woman who as a teenager encouraged her boyfriend through dozens of text messages to kill himself is responsible for his suicide, Massachusetts highest court ruled Wednesday in upholding her involuntary manslaughter conviction. The Supreme Judicial Court said in a unanimous...
Read More
Suspect Wade Edward Winn, right, appears before Judge Kevin T. Miles at Clermont County Municipal Court into the shooting incident involving two officers of the Clermont County Sheriff's Office, Monday, Feb. 4, 2019, in Batavia, Ohio. Detective Bill Brewer died from gunshot wounds after being transported to Anderson Mercy Hospital. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)
February 04, 2019 - 5:20 pm
CINCINNATI (AP) — A man accused of luring authorities with threats of killing himself and then fatally shooting a sheriff's deputy and wounding another deputy who tried to help him during a 12-hour standoff in Ohio had his bond set at $10 million Monday. A shackled Wade Edward Winn, who appeared to...
Read More
FILE - In this Oct. 2, 2017 file photo, Eric Paddock holds a photo of himself, at left, and his brother, Stephen Paddock, at right, outside his home in Orlando, Fla. The FBI has concluded its investigation into the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history without determining a motive. The FBI makes the conclusion in a report given to The Associated Press on Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2019. After nearly 16 months, the agency says it can't determine why gunman Stephen Paddock killed 58 people and injured nearly 900 others in October 2017. (AP Photo/John Raoux, File)
January 29, 2019 - 8:42 pm
LAS VEGAS (AP) — The high-stakes gambler responsible for the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history sought notoriety in the attack but left his specific motive a mystery, the FBI said Tuesday as it concluded the investigation of the 2017 massacre that killed 58 country music fans. While the...
Read More
FILE - In this Oct. 1, 2017, file photo, police run for cover at the scene of a shooting near the Mandalay Bay resort and casino on the Las Vegas Strip in Las Vegas. In a report released Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2019, the FBI concluded its investigation into the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history without determining a motive. After nearly 16 months, the agency says it can't determine why gunman Stephen Paddock killed 58 people and injured nearly 900 others in October 2017. (AP Photo/John Locher, File)
January 29, 2019 - 7:04 pm
LAS VEGAS (AP) — The Latest on the FBI's investigation into the 2017 Las Vegas mass shooting (all times local): 4 p.m. Las Vegas shooting survivor Kimberly King says she wasn't surprised that an FBI report released Tuesday found no motive for the gunman because it's felt for a long time like there...
Read More

Pages