Sexual Abuse

Pope Francis attends a Mass for Holy Thursday, inside St. Peter's Basilica at the Vatican, Thursday, April 9, 2020. Francis celebrated the Holy Week Mass in St. Peter's Basilica, which was largely empty of faithful because of restrictions aimed at containing the spread of COVID-19. The new coronavirus causes mild or moderate symptoms for most people, but for some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness or death. (Alessandro Di Meo/Pool Photo via AP)
1010 WINS Newsroom
April 09, 2020 - 2:23 pm
VATICAN CITY (AP) — Pope Francis on Holy Thursday hailed priests and medical staff who tend to the needs of COVID-19 patients as “the saints next door.” Francis celebrated the Holy Week evening Mass in St. Peter’s Basilica, which was kept off-limits to the public because of restrictions aimed at...
Read More
Cardinal George Pell sits in the back seat of a car as he leaves prison in Geelong, Australia Tuesday, April 7, 2020. Pope Francis' former finance minister Pell had been the most senior Catholic found guilty of sexually abusing children and has spent 13 months in high-security prisons before seven High Court judges unanimously dismissed his convictions. (James Ross/AAP Image via AP)
1010 WINS Newsroom
April 07, 2020 - 8:41 pm
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Cardinal George Pell welcomed Australia’s highest court clearing him of child sex crimes Tuesday and said his trial had not been a referendum on the Catholic Church’s handling of the clergy abuse crisis. Pell, Pope Francis’ former finance minister, had been the most...
Read More
1010 WINS Newsroom
April 01, 2020 - 9:26 pm
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Australia's highest court will deliver its ruling next week on whether to overturn the convictions of Cardinal George Pell, the most senior Catholic convicted of child sex abuse. The 78-year-old Pell is one year into a six-year sentence for molesting two 13-year-old...
Read More
1010 WINS Newsroom
March 13, 2020 - 4:41 am
SAINTES, France (AP) — A retired surgeon accused of sexually abusing as many as 349 young children over decades – primarily his patients, in their hospital rooms — is facing justice at last, in the worst such case to come to light in France. The trial opening Friday in the western city of Saintes...
Read More
FILE - In this Feb. 26, 2019, file photo, Cardinal George Pell arrives at the County Court in Melbourne, Australia. The most senior Catholic to be convicted of child sex abuse will take his appeal to Australia’s highest court on Wednesday, March 11, 2020, in potentially his last bid to clear his name. Cardinal George Pell was sentenced a year ago to six years in prison for molesting two 13-year-old choirboys in Melbourne’s St. Patrick’s Cathedral while he was the city’s archbishop in the late 1990s. (AP Photo/Andy Brownbill, File)
1010 WINS Newsroom
March 12, 2020 - 7:06 am
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Australia's highest court on Thursday said it will deliver a verdict at a later date on whether to overturn the convictions of the most senior Catholic to be found guilty of child sex abuse. Cardinal George Pell's lawyer, Bret Walker, told the High Court that if it found...
Read More
FILE - In this Feb. 26, 2019, file photo, Cardinal George Pell arrives at the County Court in Melbourne, Australia. The most senior Catholic to be convicted of child sex abuse will take his appeal to Australia’s highest court on Wednesday, March 11, 2020, in potentially his last bid to clear his name. Cardinal George Pell was sentenced a year ago to six years in prison for molesting two 13-year-old choirboys in Melbourne’s St. Patrick’s Cathedral while he was the city’s archbishop in the late 1990s. (AP Photo/Andy Brownbill, File)
1010 WINS Newsroom
March 11, 2020 - 3:05 am
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — The most senior Catholic to be convicted of child sex abuse took his appeal to Australia’s highest court Wednesday in potentially his last bid to clear his name. Cardinal George Pell was sentenced a year ago to six years in prison for molesting two 13-year-old choirboys...
Read More
1010 WINS Newsroom
March 10, 2020 - 9:25 pm
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — An investigation commissioned by the Los Angeles Opera into sexual harassment allegations against ‪Plácido Domingo has found that the legendary tenor engaged in "inappropriate conduct" with multiple women over the three decades he held senior positions at the company, which he...
Read More
FILE - In this Feb. 26, 2019, file photo, Cardinal George Pell arrives at the County Court in Melbourne, Australia. The most senior Catholic to be convicted of child sex abuse will take his appeal to Australia’s highest court on Wednesday, March 11, 2020, in potentially his last bid to clear his name. Cardinal George Pell was sentenced a year ago to six years in prison for molesting two 13-year-old choirboys in Melbourne’s St. Patrick’s Cathedral while he was the city’s archbishop in the late 1990s. (AP Photo/Andy Brownbill, File)
1010 WINS Newsroom
March 10, 2020 - 2:12 am
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — The most senior Catholic to be convicted of child sex abuse will take his appeal to Australia’s highest court on Wednesday in potentially his last bid to clear his name. Cardinal George Pell was sentenced a year ago to six years in prison for molesting two 13-year-old...
Read More
FILE - This undated file photo provided by the Bentley Historical Library at the University of Michigan shows Dr. Robert E. Anderson. A University of Michigan hotline has received more than 100 “unique complaints” about Dr. Anderson, a late physician accused of sexual abuse by former patients, including athletes who encountered him as a team doctor, the school announced Friday, Feb. 28, 2020. He died in 2008. (Robert Kalmbach/Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan via AP)
1010 WINS Newsroom
March 09, 2020 - 7:52 pm
ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) — A man who played football at the University of Michigan sued the school and its board of regents on Monday, alleging the late Dr. Robert E. Anderson sexually abused him. The lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Detroit is seeking certification to be class action and aims to...
Read More
Abuse survivor Robert Stone, left, gets a hug from Attorney Sarah Klein as JP DesCamp looks on as the men have accused former University of Michigan doctor Robert E. Anderson of systematic sexual assault as they speak to the news media in Ypsilanti, Mich., on Thursday, March 5, 2020. (Max Ortiz/Detroit News via AP)
1010 WINS Newsroom
March 06, 2020 - 8:52 pm
ANN ARBOR, Mich, (AP) — University of Michigan leaders said Friday that they plan to stay the course with their own investigation into allegations a deceased team doctor molested hundreds of people going back decades, declining the state attorney general's offer to get involved and angering lawyers...
Read More

Pages