Courts

In this image taken from video provided by the Arakan Army, Private Zaw Naing Tun provides a video testimony from an undisclosed location somewhere in Myanmar on July 8, 2020. Two soldiers who deserted from Myanmar’s army have testified on video that they were instructed by commanding officers to “shoot all that you see and that you hear” in villages where minority Rohingya Muslims lived, a human rights group said Tuesday, Sept. 8, 2020. (Arakan Army via AP)
1010 WINS Newsroom
September 08, 2020 - 9:26 pm
BANGKOK (AP) — Two soldiers who deserted from Myanmar’s army have testified on video that they were instructed by commanding officers to “shoot all that you see and that you hear” in villages where minority Rohingya Muslims lived, a human rights group said Tuesday. The comments appear to be the...
Read More
FILE - In this June 29, 2020, file photo, the Supreme Court is seen on Capitol Hill in Washington. President Donald Trump is preparing to release a list of potential Supreme Court nominees. It's a list that will give voters something to compare to rival Joe Biden’s promise to nominate a Black woman to the high court if given the chance. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky, File)
1010 WINS Newsroom
September 08, 2020 - 7:44 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump is preparing to again release a list of potential Supreme Court nominees, one that voters can compare to rival Joe Biden's promise to nominate a Black woman to the high court if given the chance. White House chief of staff Mark Meadows told reporters at the...
Read More
FILE - In this Sept. 17, 2019, file photo, R. Kelly appears during a hearing at the Leighton Criminal Courthouse in Chicago. Kelly can remain behind bars awaiting multiple trials on child pornography and other charges in three states, an appeals court in New York said Tuesday, Sept. 8, 2020, as a lawyer for the R&B singer cited another inmate's attack on Kelly last month as one reason he should receive bail. (Antonio Perez/Chicago Tribune via AP, Pool, File)
1010 WINS Newsroom
September 08, 2020 - 5:52 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — R. Kelly can remain behind bars awaiting multiple trials on child pornography and other charges in three states, an appeals court in New York said Tuesday as a lawyer for the R&B singer cited another inmate's attack on Kelly last month as one reason he should receive bail. The...
Read More
FILE - This Sunday, April 5, 2020, photo shows an envelope containing a 2020 census letter mailed to a U.S. resident in Detroit. The U.S. Census Bureau has spent much of the past year defending itself against allegations that its duties have been overtaken by politics. With a failed attempt by the Trump administration to add a citizenship question, the hiring of three political appointees with limited experience to top positions, a sped-up schedule and a directive from President Donald Trump to exclude undocumented residents from the process of redrawing congressional districts, the 2020 census has descended into a high-stakes partisan battle. (AP Photo/Paul Sancya, File)
1010 WINS Newsroom
September 08, 2020 - 2:41 pm
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Two days after a federal judge ordered the U.S. Census Bureau to stop winding down 2020 census operations for the time being, the statistical agency said Tuesday in court papers that it's refraining from laying off some census takers and it's restoring some quality-control...
Read More
FILE - In this April 23, 2019 file photo, immigration activists rally outside the Supreme Court as the justices hear arguments over the Trump administration's plan to ask about citizenship on the 2020 census, in Washington. The U.S. Census Bureau has spent much of the past year defending itself against allegations that its duties have been overtaken by politics. With a failed attempt by the Trump administration to add a citizenship question, the hiring of three political appointees with limited experience to top positions, a sped-up schedule and a directive from President Donald Trump to exclude undocumented residents from the process of redrawing congressional districts, the 2020 census has descended into a high-stakes partisan battle. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite, File)
1010 WINS Newsroom
September 06, 2020 - 1:50 pm
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — The U.S. Census Bureau for now must stop following a plan that would have it winding down operations in order to finish the 2020 census at the end of September, according to a federal judge's order. U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh in San Jose, California, issued a temporary...
Read More
FILE - In this March 28, 2012, file photo, Amit Mehta, then the attorney for Dominique Strauss-Kahn speaks in Bronx state Supreme Court in New York. Judge Amit Mehta has ordered the Trump administration to resume issuing diversity visas for immigrants from underrepresented countries. The order issued Friday, Sept. 4, 2020 in Washington, D.C., partially reverse a pandemic-related freeze on a wide range of immigrant and temporary visas. The U.S. issues up to 55,000 visas a year to people from countries with low representation in the U.S., many in Africa. U.S. District Court Judge Amit Mehta denied requests to take similar action on other visa categories subject to bans. (Stan Honda/Pool Photo via AP, File)
1010 WINS Newsroom
September 05, 2020 - 5:28 pm
SAN DIEGO (AP) — A federal judge ordered the Trump administration to resume issuing diversity visas for immigrants from underrepresented countries, partially reversing a pandemic-related freeze on a wide range of immigrant and temporary visas. The U.S. issues up to 55,000 visas a year to people...
Read More
Photo credit FILE - In this March 28, 2012, file photo, Amit Mehta, then the attorney for Dominique Strauss-Kahn speaks in Bronx state Supreme Court in New York. Judge Amit Mehta has ordered the Trump administration to resume issuing diversity visas for immigrants from underrepresented countries. The order issued Friday, Sept. 4, 2020 in Washington, D.C., partially reverse a pandemic-related freeze on a wide range of immigrant and temporary visas. The U.S. issues up to 55,000 visas a year to people from countries with low representation in the U.S., many in Africa. U.S. District Court Judge Amit Mehta denied requests to take similar action on other visa categories subject to bans. (Stan Honda/Pool Photo via AP, File)
September 05, 2020 - 5:28 pm
In ruling, judge throws lifeline to diversity visa lottery…
Read More
Alberto Zangrillo, Silvio Berlusconi's longtime physician, talks to reporters at the San Raffaele hospital in Milan, Friday, Sept. 4, 2020. Former Premier Silvio Berlusconi, who tested positive for COVID-19 this week, has an early-stage lung infection but was breathing on his own Friday after being hospitalized in Milan, his personal physician said. Alberto Zangrillo, who is also on the staff of San Raffaele hospital, where Berlusconi was taken in the early hours of the day, told reporters that test results are reassuring and “makes us optimistic” for his recovery over the next “hours and days.” (Claudio Furlan/LaPresse via AP)
1010 WINS Newsroom
September 05, 2020 - 11:03 am
ROME — The personal doctor of Silvio Berlusconi has expressed “cautious but reasonable optimism” for the former Italian leader’s recovery from the coronavirus. The 83-year-old Berlusconi is hospitalized in Milan after testing positive this week. Dr. Alberto Zangrillo said in a written statement...
Read More
FILE - In this July 23, 2020, file photo, protesters wave signs in front of the Hampton Inn hotel in McAllen, Texas. The Trump administration has sharply increased its use of hotels to detain immigrant children as young as 1 before expelling them from the United States during the coronavirus pandemic despite facing outcry from lawmakers and human-rights advocates. (Joel Martinez/The Monitor via AP, File)
1010 WINS Newsroom
September 04, 2020 - 9:03 pm
HOUSTON (AP) — A federal judge ordered the Trump administration on Friday to stop detaining immigrant children in hotels before expelling them from the United States, saying the much-criticized practice skirted “fundamental humanitarian protections." U.S. District Judge Dolly Gee ruled that the use...
Read More
Stacks of ballot envelopes waiting to be mailed are seen at the Wake County Board of Elections in Raleigh, N.C., Thursday, Sept. 3, 2020. North Carolina is scheduled to begin sending out more than 600,000 requested absentee ballots to voters on Friday. (AP Photo/Gerry Broome)
1010 WINS Newsroom
September 04, 2020 - 7:11 pm
A North Carolina court ruled Friday that outstanding restitution, fees or other court-imposed monetary obligations can't prevent convicted felons from voting if they've completed all other portions of their sentence. The ruling, which may face appeals, could pave the way for an influx of felons to...
Read More

Pages