Trump reveals he's been taking hydroxychloroquine as prophylactic to coronavirus

David Caplan
May 18, 2020 - 4:38 pm
Categories: 

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- President Trump said Monday he is taking hydroxychloroquine as a prophylactic to coronavirus, he told reporters.

"I happen to be taking it, yah right now, a couple of weeks ago I started taking it," Trump said during a roundtable event. "A lot of good things have come out. You’d be surprised at how many people are taking it, especially the front-line workers. Before you catch it. The front-line workers, many, many are taking it."

“I started taking it, because I think it’s good,” Trump said. “I’ve heard a lot of good stories.”

Following Trump's announcement, White House physician Sean Conley wrote in a letter that "the potential benefit from treatment outweighed the relative risks" of taking the drug.

Trump

Trump said he has had no symptoms for coronavirus. Trump also said he asked the White House doctor for it and the doctor said it was fine to take.

“There’s a very good chance this has an impact, especially early on,” he said. “So far, I seem to be OK.”

It is unknown yet if the drug will help in the battle against the potentially-deadly virus. 

Trump has been touting the anti-malaria drug for months as a "game changer" in the fight against coronavirus.

“The nice part is it’s been around for a long time,” Trump said in March. “So, we know that if things don’t go as planned, it’s not going to kill anybody.”