Credit: Tania Savayan/The Journal News via USA TODAY NETWORK

Tens-of-Thousands Still Without Power After Nor’easters Whack New York

March 09, 2018 - 7:52 am
Categories: 

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- Waiting and waiting. Many people without power from the nor'easter are trying to keep their patience while waiting for the lights to come back on.

Some have been waiting since last week's nor'easter.

As of Friday morning, Con Ed had 20,000 homes and businesses still in the dark. JCP&L had nearly 78,000 affected customers, PSE&G is reporting 30,000 and there were30,000 without power in Orange and Rockland counties as well.

In the five boroughs just under 500 were still getting nothing when they flipped the light switch.

In Briarcliff Manor, Eric paraphrased a notice he got from Con Ed.

"I think a email went out saying, okay we're done for the day. If you don't have power yet, you might have to wait until Friday," he said.

Westchester County Executive George Latimer is making demands that the leadership of Con Ed step down because of delays in handling the outages.

"I'm critical of those in suits and corporate boardrooms, who are not facing the public," he said.

In New Jersey, Governor Phil Murphy was also blowing a fuse, wondering whether the utilities -- knowing the state was about to get whacked -- were prepared.

"My gut tells me they weren't and if they have not been this is entirely inexcusable," he said.

As 1010 WINS' John Montone reported, his colleague Glenn Shuck had a burning transformer fall into the street near his home in Ho-Ho-Kus, causing manholes to explode.

"In fact my house and my neighbors, we both had water come flying up through the toilets throughout our home into the ceiling from the force of the explosion," he said.