Philadelphia gunman surrenders after 7-hour standoff, 6 shot cops released from hospital

David Caplan
August 14, 2019 - 5:23 pm

Justin Udo


NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- The Philadelphia shooting suspect surrendered around midnight, following a seven-hour standoff that left six police officers injured from being shot.

A member of the SWAT team shot tear gas into the home. The suspect then walked out with his arms up and was taken into custody by police (video, below)

The standoff was still going strong Wednesday night, more than five hours after it started. Around 9:45 p.m., two police officers trapped inside a home with a suspected gunman were "safely evacuated" by a police SWAT team. The suspect was "still armed and inside" Sgt. Eric Gripp said.

At 10:11 p.m., Sgt. Gripp tweeted, "All six officers who were shot have been released from area hospitals. One officer is being admitted for injuries sustained in a vehicle crash related to the incident. Situation remains active and ongoing."

NBC Philadelphia reported at least one suspect is in custody.

The shootout occurred after a warrant was served at a home by the police department's narcotics strike force, according to reports.

Officers were searching for for a possible second gunman, NBC Philadelphia reported. 

At 6:18, a police spokesman tweeted, "Suspect is still firing. SIX (6) PPD Officers shot - at area hospitals with non life threatening injuries. Additional officers also receiving treatment for non-gunshot injuries. Continue to avoid area. Situation is active and ongoing."

The White House said in a statement before 7 p.m., "The President has been briefed on the shooting in Philadelphia and continues to monitor the situation."

Attorney General William Barr was also briefed on the shooting. 

Democratic presidential candidate Marianne Williamson, tweeted, "Prayers for police officers, all Philadelphians during today’s crisis. Time for fundamental break with past: universal background checks, outlaw bump stocks & assault weapons, close loopholes. Need personal, cultural & political commitment to peace - or the violence will continue."

As of 5:57 p.m., "Suspect is still firing. STAY OUT OF THE AREA," a police spokesman tweeted. 

"Update - Multiple injuries to Officers. 5 PPD Officers Shot - at area hospitals with non life-threatening injuries. Shooting still active. Avoid area. MEDIA - STOP BROADCASTING TACTICAL POSITIONS OF OFFICERS," Gripp tweeted. 

The city's mayor Jim Kenney and district attorney Larry Krasner were at Temple University Hospital with the injured officers. 

"Shooting situation ACTIVE and ONGOING on 3700 15th St. Avoid Area. Several PPD Officers have been injured. Updates will be provided as received," Sergeant Gripp tweeted at 5:12 p.m.

A gunman was actively shooting at officers in the Nicetown section of the city, police said. 

KYW reporter Mike Dougherty tweeted that he spoke with "an officer with a bandage over his left ear and a bloody shirt."

Video shows a massive police presence in a neighborhood with dozens of police cars and officers, many of them with their guns drawn.  In one video, one officer appeared injured and was taken away in a police car. Video also showed two other officers carrying a man and putting them in the back of a police car.

Gripp first tweeted about the "shooting incident" at 4:43 p.m., writing, "Shooting incident 3700 N 15th Street. Suspect/(s) firing at police. Large police presence. AVOID AREA."

A lockdown was in effect at Temple University's Health Sciences Center campus. The school put out an alert for students to take a shelter in place.