Executive assistant charged with tech CEO's grisly Lower East Side murder: NYPD

1010 WINS Newsroom
July 17, 2020 - 2:51 pm
Fahim Saleh

LinkedIn/David Caplan/1010 WINS


NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- The executive assistant to a tech CEO who was found decapitated and dismembered in his Lower East Side condo has been arrested and charged with his murder, the NYPD said Friday. 

Listen Live Now on 1010 WINS

Gokada CEO and founder Fahim Saleh's cousin discovered his dismembered body inside his condo on East Houston Street, at Suffolk Street, on Tuesday afternoon, NYPD Chief of Detectives Rodney Harrison said during a news conference Friday afternoon. 

On Friday morning, Saleh's executive assistant, Tyrese Devon Haspil, 21, was taken into custody in the lobby of a building on Crosby Street, Harrison said. Haspil has been charged with second-degree murder in connection with Saleh's death, the chief said. 

Haspil, who handled Saleh's finances and "personal matters," owed Saleh a "significant amount of money," according to Harrison. Law enforcement sources said Haspil is suspected to have stolen more than $100,000 from Saleh — an amount Saleh offered to let him repay. 

Investigators believe Haspil tased Saleh as the CEO was exiting an elevator that opens up into his apartment, Harrison said. The New York Times on Friday reported that Saleh was actually killed Monday, and that Haspil returned the following day to clean up the scene.

A headless torso was found in the living room of the seventh-floor apartment surrounded by heavy-duty trash bags and an electric power saw around 3:30 p.m. Tuesday. The bags apparently contained Saleh's head, arms and legs. Haspil used Saleh's own credit card to buy cleaning supplies, law enforcement sources said. 
Gokada, a company Saleh founded, confirmed his death on Twitter, writing: "We are deeply saddened to inform you about the sudden and tragic loss of our founder and CEO, Fahim Saleh. Fahim was a great leader, inspiration and positive light for all of us."
Apartments at the 10-story building where Saleh's body was found sell for more than $2 million. The Medical Examiner is working to determine Saleh's cause of death. Police said the investigation is ongoing.



The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Like 1010 WINS on Facebook and follow @1010WINS on Twitter to get breaking news, traffic, and weather for New York City.