Mamaroneck Outage

Roger Stern/1010 WINS

Tens Of Thousands Still Without Power, And At Wit's End, In Tri-State

March 11, 2018 - 11:25 am
Categories: 

MAMARONECK, N.Y. (1010 WINS) -- Tens of thousands of area residents remained without power Sunday morning following a pair of nor’easters.

As 1010 WINS’ Roger Stern reported, crews from Quebec and Wisconsin were on the scene in Mamaroneck Sunday morning.

But around the corner, Malina Marshall said not to trust Con Ed when they say power will be restored by a certain time.

“Night after night, you look for the updates, and they say, ‘OK, the following night by 11 o’clock, and then the next day, it’s Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday – and there’s no end to it,” she said.

Meanwhile, Sue Fisher is one of the lucky ones on Frank Avenue – she has a generator.

“It hasn’t been as hard as it’s been for a lot of people, but it’s still been really difficult,” she said.

Fisher feels sorry for neighbors without auxiliary power who have had to flee their homes because it is so cold.

Last week, Westchester County Executive George Latimer slammed executives from power companies serving the area, and called on the heads of Con Edison and New York State Gas & Electric to resign.

Con Ed chief executive officer John McAvoy said the company will do an assessment of its performance after power is restored. He said the utility is focused on repairs, not criticism from Gov. Andrew Cuomo or County Executive Latimer.

McAvoy said by Tuesday, the utility had met its goal of restoring power to 90 percent of customers following last Friday's storm, but it was like starting over after Wednesday.

New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy also expressed frustration with utility companies for not being better prepared as 100,000 customers are still without power in the Garden State.

Murphy has promised a detailed review of utility companies.

AccuWeather says we could see another storm on Monday.