Attack by 3 students on upstate middle school foiled

1010 WINS Newsroom
November 08, 2019 - 3:37 pm
Albion Middle School

Google Street View

Categories: 

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- A plot by three middle schoolers to attack their upstate New York school has been thwarted, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Friday. 

The students at Albion Middle School in Albion had planned a date to stage an attack on their school with guns and explosives. 

"Yesterday, school officials in Upstate New York worked with local, state and federal law enforcement officers to help stop an alleged plot by three students to attack Albion Middle School," Cuomo said in a statement. "The plot was determined to be credible and the agencies worked quickly to investigate and identify the suspects." 

Threats about violence had been made on Discord, a messaging and social media app used by gamers. These threats were reported to authorities on Monday. 

In a letter, Albion Central School District Superintendent Michael Bonnewell said that the students "have been removed from school pending the completion of the investigation and disciplinary and other corrective action to ensure the safety of our students."

Police told ABC News that all three students were under the age of 16, and that they are charged with conspiracy in the second degree. Police also said that several "legal" firearms had been seized. 

"School and police officials across this state continue to be on high alert and I encourage anyone who notices any unusual or suspicious behavior to report it to school administrators and law enforcement right away," Cuomo said.