Manhattan man with empty pipe bombs arrested for threatening to blow up 'Alice in Wonderland' statue: prosecutors

Maya Rajamani
April 14, 2020 - 2:20 pm
Alice in Wonderland Central Park

iStock / Getty Images Plus


NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- A man who allegedly threatened to blow up the “Alice in Wonderland” statue in Central Park was arrested after police found knives, rifle ammunition and what appeared to be three empty pipe bombs in his Manhattan apartment, prosecutors say. 

Kevin Fallon, 30, sent a group text to several people he knew around 8 p.m. on April 9 saying he planned to blow up the iconic statue, which sits above the boat pond near East 74th Street, according to a complaint filed with the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office. 

Early the next morning, he sent someone else he knew a LinkedIn message with a photo of what appeared to be a pipe bomb, saying it was “a replica alarm clock pipe bomb… that really works,” the complaint says. 

On April 11, Fallon sent a message with a photo of what appeared to be a pipe bomb "with a wristwatch wrapped around it" to a third person; that same day, he sent another group text with a photo of what appeared to be a pipe bomb and rifle ammunition, according to prosecutors. 

“See you at the wedding. Catch me if you can. Look both ways before you cross the street. This is going to hurt. None of you are safe. I am lethal… said this character I’m writing,” Fallon texted, according to the complaint. 

Later that day, Fallon sent another message saying he planned to give the “alarm clock bomb” to someone, saying it would "be filled with powder and ready to detonate,” the complaint says. 

When members of the NYPD’s bomb squad searched Fallon’s Upper West Side apartment that evening, they found rifle ammunition, “multiple knives taped together” and what appeared to be three empty pipe bombs, according to the complaint and the NYPD. 

Fallon was arrested and charged with one count of first-degree falsely reporting an incident, six counts of making a terroristic threat, one count of second-degree falsely reporting an incident and one count of fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon, the complaint says. 

He is currently being held on $50,000 bail and is expected to appear in court on July 13, according to the DA’s office.

His attorney on Tuesday declined to comment on the arrest.