Man, 59, dead after space heater sparks fire in Queens home

Andrew Weber
September 20, 2019 - 11:49 am
Site of Queens house fire

Citizen App

Categories: 

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) — A man died Thursday night in a Queens house fire, according to authorities.

Kenneth Reese, 59, was pronounced dead at the scene after firefighters found him unconscious and unresponsive on the 2nd floor.

One Killed, One Injured in Second-Floor Fire @CitizenApp

163-53 Mathias Avenue Yesterday 8:35:53 PM EDT

The FDNY arrived to find heavy flames from a second story window at Mathias Avenue in Jamaica at about 8:30 p.m.

The blaze was accidentally sparked by a space heater, according to authorities.

Carolyn Reese, wife of the deceased, told the Daily News that she left the space heater on when she went to take a shower.

"I came back and he was screaming, ‘I’m on fire, I’m on fire!,’” she said.

Like 1010 WINS on Facebook and follow @1010WINS on Twitter to get breaking news, traffic, and weather for New York City.