Man accused in plot to burn down St. Patrick’s Cathedral declared unfit for trial

1010 WINS Newsroom
May 14, 2019 - 3:15 pm
Marc Lamparello, 37, center, is escorted out of a police precinct in New York, Thursday, April 18, 2019.

(AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

Categories: 

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- The man accused of plotting to burn down St. Patrick's Cathedral has been declared unfit to stand trial.

Manhattan DA Cy Vance made the announcement on Tuesday.

RELATED:

Marc Lamparello had run-ins with police in New Jersey, just days before he allegedly arrived in Manhattan with plans to burn St. Patrick's. Lamparello, 37, was arrested on attempted arson charges after allegedly showing up at the church with two gas cans, lighter fluid, and butane lighters.

Authorities say Lamparello booked a $2,8000 flight to Italy for the day after he had been arrested at St. Patrick's and that he booked a hotel 20 minutes from the Vatican.

Before being arrested at St. Patrick's, Lamparello had a confrontation with police at the Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart in Newark -- allegedly scuffling with police who told him the church was closed and that he had to leave.

"God wants me to be here. I know all the sins the priests have committed," he allegedly told police.

Lamparello has no prior criminal history.

Like 1010 WINS on Facebook and follow @1010WINS on Twitter to get breaking news, traffic, and weather for New York City.