Judge rules to hike Weinstein's bail to $5M for allegedly mishandling ankle monitor

Kimberly Dole
December 11, 2019 - 10:12 am
Harvey Weinstein

Associated Press

Categories: 

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) — A judge ruled Wednesday to hike Harvey Weinstein's bail to $5 million after prosecutors alleged he violated bail conditions by mishandling his electronic ankle monitor.

Weinstein, 67, arrived at court in the morning. and is scheduled to stand trial in New York City beginning Jan. 6 on rape and sexual assault charges.

Prosecutor Joan Illuzzi said at a hearing Friday that Weinstein repeatedly and purposely left a piece of the monitoring technology that keeps the ankle bracelet activated at home, leacing his his whereabouts unrecorded for hours at a time.

Weinstein lawyer Donna Rotunno denied it and blamed "technical glitches" like dead batteries.

"It has nothing to do with any manipulation of the bracelet," Rotunno told reporters after leaving court. She acknowledged that on at least one occasion, he’d forgotten part of the device when he left the house. "The minute he realized he forgot it, he made a phone call."

Illuzzi told the court on Wednesday that the person monitoring Weinstein does not believe the problems due to were technical glitches.The monitoring appears to be working now but Illuzzi said she thought that was because of the threat of new bail.

"I don't think it was the adding of the extra batteries,'' Illuzzi said. "It was Mr. Weinstein's panic that the court might change the bail.''

Weinstein has pleaded not guilty to charges he raped a woman in a Manhattan hotel room in 2013 and performed a forcible sex act on a different woman in 2006.

He had been free on the current $1 million bail and maintains that any sexual activity was consensual.

Weinstein has been spotted at New York City nightclubs in recent months.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Like 1010 WINS on Facebook and follow @1010WINS on Twitter to get breaking news, traffic, and weather for New York City.