Elementary school student, 9, accidentally sets herself on fire in Brooklyn school's bathroom

David Caplan
October 16, 2019 - 4:35 pm

Google Street View

Categories: 

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- A Brooklyn elementary school student ]is in critical condition accidentally set herself on fire Wednesday afternoon after playing with a lighter in her school's bathroom, the FDNY and NYPD have confirmed to 1010 WINS.

The 9-year-old girl's clothing caught fire, and she ended up with second- and third-degree burns to her upper body.

The incident took place in Bedford-Stuyvesant at Excellence Girls Charter School Elementary Academy on Monroe Street. 

A spokeswoman for the school said in a statement, "Our focus is on supporting the student and her family, and our school community. We are working with the authorities and will continue to communicate with and support our families and students."

She was transported to Weill Cornell Medical Center.