In this Nov. 17, 2017, file photo, Johnny Bobbitt Jr., left, Kate McClure, right, and McClure's boyfriend Mark D'Amico pose at a Citgo station in Philadelphia.

(Elizabeth Robertson/The Philadelphia Inquirer via AP)

Fundraising fury: Woman blames ex-boyfriend for Go Fund Me scam

November 19, 2018 - 2:04 pm
Categories: 

MOUNT HOLLY, NJ (1010 WINS) -- There's been a falling out among alleged thieves in New Jersey.

Last week, a New Jersey couple and a homeless man named Johnny Bobbitt were all charged with making up a story that convinced people to donate $400,000 to a Go Fund Me campaign.

RELATED: Report: Trio at center of infamous GoFundMe case could all face charges | Couple could soon be indicted over missing GoFundMe donations | GoFundMe, law firm says homeless Samaritan will get cash

Kate McClure and Mark D'Amico are now exes, and McClure says the scam was all his idea and that she's the victime here.

On ABC's Good Morning America, she released a tape she said she secretly recorded of a conversation with D'Amico.

"I had no part in any of this, and I'm the one (expletive) taking the fall," she is heard saying.

"From the start Kate thought she was helping a veteran who was homeless, and that Mr. D'Amico was the one behind this and he was calling all the shots," said her attorney is James Gerrow.

The prosecutor in the case said McClure texted a friend less than an hour after the Go Fund Me was launched saying her story about running out of gas and getting $20 from a homeless vet was made up.

Bobbitt sued the couple in September, alleging that McClure and D'Amico used the money to pay for trips to Atlantic City, Philadelphia, and Las Vegas. The couple claimed they had given him $200,000.

Go Fund Me said they will return money to donors who were duped.