Fox still backs Jussie Smollett, as court papers show he gave false info in 2007 case

February 20, 2019 - 12:30 pm

CHICAGO (1010 WINS/AP) — Twentieth Century Fox Television issued a new statement Wednesday, reaffirming its committment to "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett, claiming it has no plans to write the actor out of the show.

“Jussie Smollett continues to be a consummate professional on set and as we have previously stated, he is not being written out of the show,” the company said. 

Meanwhile, a California misdemeanor complaint against "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett shows he was accused of identifying himself as his younger brother in 2007 when a Los Angeles police officer pulled him over on suspicion of driving under the influence.

The misdemeanor complaint filed in Los Angeles Superior Court in September 2007 says that Smollett gave the name of his brother, Jake Smollett, when he was asked by an officer. He also signed a false name on the promise to appear in court. Smollett also was later charged with false impersonation, driving under the influence and driving without a valid license.

RELATED: Jussie Smollett gives cops ‘heavily redacted’ phone records from night of attackJussie Smollett pushes back against those questioning alleged attack

Court records show Smollett pleaded no contest to the reduced charge of giving false information, in addition to driving under the influence and driving without a valid license counts. The records show he later completed an alcohol education and treatment program and completed the terms of his sentence in May 2008.

The details of the complaint were first reported by NBC News.