Applebee's file image.

(Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)

Family sues Applebee’s after child suffers ‘horrible burns’

October 11, 2018 - 10:35 am
Categories: 

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- The family of a 17-month-old who was scalded by hot water at an Applebee's restaurant in Queens last week, is planning a lawsuti against the chain.

The toddler spilled a cup of steaming water that had been placed on the table, resulting in numerous burns.

"He thought the water was for him. He grabbed the glass and the hot water — the scalding hot water — fell all over his chest, his legs, everything." Courtnei Patterson said.

Witnesses told the Daily News that wait staff at the Rosedale restaurant rushed to get paper towels and ointment, but didn't call 911 for 20 minutes.

"Everybody was just standing there, looking around trying to figure out what to do next," Patterson said.

Patterson said the boy has been traumatized by the incident.

"It's hard. One minute, he'll forget what's going on. He tries to play, because, you know, there are other children. The next thing, he's screaming bloody murder because he's in so much pain. It hurts me. It hurts me so bad just to see that baby in that condition," Patterson added.

Sanford Rubenstein is the family's attorney. He said a lawsuit is pending.

"The child has suffered horrible burns," he said. "Appropriate action will be instituted against Applebee's for the actions of their employees."

The company said it is saddened by what happened and is cooperating in the investigation.