Ex-Mets players Dotel, Castillo released from Dominican jail, judge rules not enough evidence linking to drug ring

Andrew Weber
August 30, 2019 - 7:16 am

AP

Categories: 

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) — Former Mets players Octavio Dotel and Luis Castillo were released from a Dominican Republic jail Thursday after a judge ruled there was not sufficient evidence to connect them to drug kingpin Cesar Emilio Peralta, according to reports from the country.

Dotel, a long-time major league relief pitcher, and Castillo, a second baseman, were charged last week with being part of an 18-person drug trafficking and money laundering operation run by Peralta.

Judge Jose Alejandro Vargas said that the charges were unfounded.

“The judge found that my client has nothing to do with the charges imputed to him by the public prosecutor,” Dotel’s lawyer Manuel Sierra told ESPN Deportes.

Dotel posted $1 million in bail, which was set based on allegations illegal weapons were found in his home, according to media reports.

It was not yet clear if he would need to return to court.

The Dominican Republic's attorney general said Peralta helped funnel drugs from the country to the U.S.

Like 1010 WINS on Facebook and follow @1010WINS on Twitter to get breaking news, traffic, and weather for New York City.