Elderly Woman Dead After Fire Engulfs Queens Home

June 19, 2018 - 10:16 am

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) — An elderly woman died on Monday night after a fire broke out in her home in Queens.

The inferno started at around 7:30 p.m. and spread to both floors in the two-story house on 252nd Street. Audrey Hebling was 82 years old and lived alone.

In addition to the extreme heat, Hebling's home was reportedly full of clutter, which made it difficult for firefighters to combat the fire.

Although the hoarding conditions were a fire hazard, officials said the cause of the fire was reportedly because of an extension cord.

At least eight firefighters were injured, including one who fell when the first floor caved in.