De Blasio calls for 'full investigation' of power outages in New York

Kimberly Dole
July 22, 2019 - 9:50 am

Scott Olson/Getty Images

Categories: 

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- Mayor Bill de Blasio is calling for a "full investigation'' into the power outages in New York following this weekend's high temperatures.

De Blasio told reporters Monday he has lost trust in Con Edison after the private utility company made a "conscious decision'' to shut down power in several neighborhoods.

He said the outages were avoidable and the company has provided "no answers whatsoever as to why this happened.''

The mayor added it may be time for the city to consider turning to another entity to provide electricity to the nation's largest city.

"We're not getting very clear answers from Con Ed, which is very frustrating." de Blasio said. 

A briefing from Con Ed regarding the Manhattan blackout last week, which was resolved within five hours, made the Mayor feel a bit "hopeful". 

Instead, a week later, there's a new situation and he was never been given any details or got a clear timeline of what exactly happened the first time around.

"It doesn't instill confidence." he adds.

De Blasio said that over the years, Con Ed has been able to respond to situations quickly but doesn't know why it continues to happen. 

What he does know is that the outages did not occur because of overload, and that there is confirmation that they went nowhere near the maximum electricity levels.

"Something is going on and we need better answers," de Blasio said. "This is not acceptable to the people of the city."

Like 1010 WINS on Facebook and follow @1010WINS on Twitter to get breaking news, traffic, and weather for New York City.