Gov. Andrew Cuomo announces plan to avoid full L train shutdown in April.

Juliet Papa/1010 WINS

Cuomo has plan to dodge full L train shutdown

January 03, 2019 - 12:48 pm
Categories: 

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- The long dreaded L train shutdown will be averted.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Thursday, that the shutdown would not take place in April as planned.

RELATED: Cuomo gives experts 3 weeks to report back after L train tunnel tour | Push underway to legalize electric scooters as L train shutdown looms | L train shutdown may be driving renter flight out of Williamsburg

Closing the L train tunnel was expected to create one of the city's biggest transit disruptions in years. The MTA says work on the subway tunnel is necessary to repair damage done by Superstorm Sandy.

Until now, the plan for the tunnel involved a 15 month shutdown. Commuters have been preparing for the project by seeking out alternate routes, or moving out of their Brooklyn neighborhoods altogether leaving landlords and some business owners concerned.

Cuomo toured the tunnel in December, and said if there was a better way to make the repairs his office would look into it.

“If there’s a better way of doing it, they tell us there’s a better way of doing it,” Mr. Cuomo said at the time. “If there’s not a better way of doing it, they say that’s the best that it can be done.”

Initially there had been plans for a three-year partial shutdown and a shorter, complete shutdown. Officials settled on the full shutdown to expedite the process.

After touring the tunnel, Cuomo consulted with a panel of experts and settled on a design that has been implemented in Europe, but hasn't been tried in the U.S.

The new design will only require partial closures on nights and weekends.