Credit: Eduardo Munoz Alvarez/AFP-Pool Photo via USA TODAY

Cosby Lawyers Challenge Prosecution Over Exclusion Of Black Woman From Jury

April 04, 2018 - 11:40 am

NORRISTOWN, Pa. (1010WINS/AP) -- Jury selection in Bill Cosby's sexual assault retrial has been halted as the comedian's lawyers challenge the prosecution's decision to exclude a black woman from the jury.
 
The defense is alleging the prosecution was discriminatory in using one of its seven strikes to remove the woman from consideration. Prosecutors did not have to give a reason for wanting her removed. Assistant District Attorney Kristen Fedden says the challenge makes no sense because they've already seated two black jurors.
 
The judge says he doesn't believe the prosecution had any "discriminatory intent'' but halted Wednesday's proceeding to read a defense brief.
 
Eight jurors have been picked so far, including one Wednesday.
 
Cosby is charged with drugging and molesting a woman in 2004. He's pleaded not guilty. His first trial ended in a hung jury.

Following a challenge by media lawyers, a judge gave The Associated Press and other media organizations more access to a portion of jury selection.

Media lawyers had challenged an arrangement that forced reporters to watch the group questioning part of jury selection on a closed-circuit feed from another courtroom. The camera showed the judge, prosecutors and defense lawyers, but not potential jurors who were being questioned as a group.
 
Montgomery County President Judge Thomas DelRicci agreed Wednesday to move the camera to the back of the courtroom so the media can see the potential jurors.
 
DelRicci refused to make room in the crowded courtroom for a pool reporter, but said if the jury pool did not fill the room to capacity, he'd allow reporters to attend live.