CORONAVIRUS IN CONNECTICUT: 609 new cases; 94 new fatalities mark highest daily death toll this week

Maya Rajamani
May 14, 2020 - 4:21 pm

    HARTFORD, CT (1010 WINS) -- Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont on Thursday reported 609 new COVID-19 cases and 94 new fatalities — the highest daily death toll so far this week. 

    LISTEN LIVE: 1010 WINS' 24/7 coverage of the coronavirus outbreak

    A total of 35,464 state residents have now tested positive for the virus, and 3,219 have died, Lamont said. The governor reported 41 COVID-19 deaths on Monday, 33 deaths on Tuesday and 84 deaths on Wednesday. 

    As of Thursday, 1,103 patients were hospitalized with COVID-19 — down by 55 from Wednesday, according to Lamont.

    Lamont said the state is still on track to start reopening on May 20, despite a letter 11 Democratic state senators wrote asking him to reevaluate that date. 

    “While Connecticut is moving in the right direction in terms of testing capacity, hospitalizations and deaths, the number of new positive tests, while down from the peak, indicates that community transmission of COVID-19 is still occurring in Connecticut at levels far beyond our ability to track, trace and isolate potential contacts,” the senators wrote, according to the Hartford Courant

    Asked about the letter during his briefing, Lamont said he felt the senators should “listen to our briefings here.” 

    “I appreciate the ongoing concern that people have, but I think we’ve got the right balance going forward right now,” he said. “Whatever we’re doing, we’re doing very cautiously."

    Lamont also said the state isn’t considering reopening by county or region, as New York is doing. 

    “At this point I just think we’re too small. If you’re in New Haven, you can get to any part of the state in an hour or so," he said. “We’re a relatively small state, so the idea that you would open up a restaurant here but not there… I think the possibility is promoting a lot of traffic back and forth."

    The state could take a “second look” at the idea pending the results of the first phase of reopenings, he noted. 

    And while some restaurant owners in the state have asked that limited indoor seating and dining be allowed starting June 3, Lamont maintained it was still too early to decide. On Wednesday, the governor said he was eyeing June 20 for a second phase of reopenings.

    “I want to see a little more experience with the outside dining first,” he said.

    Like 1010 WINS on Facebook and follow @1010WINS on Twitter to get breaking news, traffic, and weather for New York City.