City's outdoor dining program to return June 2021, de Blasio announces

Kimberly Dole
August 03, 2020 - 12:11 pm
outdoor dining

SIPA

Categories: 

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- During his daily briefing on Monday, Mayor Bill de Blasio said the city's Open Restaurant program has proven to be a success, and it will return in June 2021.

"A lot of restaurants have been able to survive because of this initiative," Mayor de Blasio said,

According to de Blasio, well over 9,000 restaurants are enrolled in the program which continues to grow. 

Because of this initiative, the city estimates that approximately 80,000 New Yorkers have gotten their jobs back.

Due to the success of the Open Streets program, de Blasio announced that the city will be going to bring back the initiative next year.,

"Look at what we have been able to achieve together," the mayor said. 

According to de Blasio, the city may extend the program to begin earlier in the spring.

"We have seen that this experiment worked," he said, noting that New Yorkers should look forward to outdoor dining, and restaurants can expect additional revenue from it and see that the city can "come back strong."