Bronx Councilman Ruben Diaz Sr. won't seek reelection next year

Maya Rajamani
July 13, 2020 - 3:08 pm
Categories: 

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- Controversial Bronx Councilman Ruben Diaz Sr. will not seek re-election next year, the politician said Monday. 

In a statement posted on Twitter, Diaz said he “made the decision to follow the example of my two sons. My biological son Ruben Diaz Jr., and my political son Marcos Crespo.” 

Listen Live Now on 1010 WINS

Diaz Jr., the Bronx Borough President, dropped out of the city’s mayoral race this past January; Bronx Assemblyman Marcos Crespo in February said he wouldn’t seek reelection and would step down from his post as Democratic county leader. 

“Everything has its end!” Diaz Sr. wrote in Monday’s statement. “I will forever be grateful to all those that have stood by me.”

Diaz Sr. placed third in the 15th Congressional District’s Democratic primary last month, trailing Councilman Ritchie Torres, the projected winner, and Assemblyman Michael Blake. 

An ordained Pentecostal minister, Diaz Sr. has come under fire in the past for making homophobic statements, speaking out against same-sex marriage and inviting then-presidential candidate Ted Cruz to his district back in 2016, among other incidents.

He lost his role as chairman of the City Council’s for-hire vehicle committee last year after he said the council was “controlled by the homosexual community.”