NYPD charges 14-year-old who allegedly stabbed Tessa Majors to death

1010 WINS Newsroom
February 15, 2020 - 11:58 am
Tessa Majors

Tessa Majors/Instagram


NEW YORK (1010 WINS) – A second teen has been charged in connection with the killing of Barnard College freshman Tessa Majors in December.

Law enforcement announced the arrest of 14-year-old Rashaun Weaver in the case at an unscheduled news conference on Saturday afternoon.

"What we can say is that we have the person in custody who stabbed her, and that person will face justice in a court of law," NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea said.

"This arrest is a major milestone on the path to justice for Tessa Majors," Manhattan DA Cyrus Vance said.

Weaver was arrested at the Taft Houses in Brooklyn at 10:30 p.m. Friday.

He is being charged as an adult with one count of intentional murder and one count of felony murder, Vance said. He also faces two counts of robbery.

An arraignment is set for Wednesday, officials said.

Two months ago a 13-year-old boy was arrested in connection with the case. He is being charged as a juvenile and faces felony murder, robbery and weapons charges. He told police he didn't stab Majors but was there at the time of the robbery.

Rashaun Weaver

A 14-year-old boy was questioned by police a short time after the 13-year-old was arrested, but he was ultimately released by police, reportedly over a lack of evidence. He is the same teen indicted Saturday.

Vance said authorities have a lot of evidence Weaver is behind the crime, including evidence from Majors' phone, as well as surveillance video and DNA evidence. The criminal complaint says Weaver told police he "hit" Majors with a knife because she wouldn't give up her phone.

Police said a grand jury is expected to see evidence against the two teens who are in custody. Among the items is said to be the knife used in the killing.

Majors, 18, was stabbed while walking in Morningside Park on the evening of Dec. 11. The city’s medical examiner said Monday she died from wounds to the torso.

The 13-year-old who was arrested told police that he and two other youths went to the park looking for someone to rob, first setting their sights on a man before turning their attention to Majors.

In December, Detective Wilfredo Acevedo testified that the 13-year-old boy said he then picked up a red-handled knife that another one of the youths had dropped and that he handed it to one of them.

They then approached Majors and announced they were robbing her, but she refused to hand over any property, the boy said, according to Acevedo.  The boy said he witnessed what happened next from perhaps 10 feet away, Acevedo testified: One of the youths grabbing Majors from behind as the other stabbed her, causing feathers to billow from her jacket. 

A police officer responding to a radio call for a robbery in progress said she found Majors lying face down in the street.

Then Majors stopped breathing, Lewis said. The officer said she started CPR and kept at it until they got to a hospital, where Majors was pronounced dead.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Like 1010 WINS on Facebook and follow @1010WINS on Twitter to get breaking news, traffic, and weather for New York City.