Fire truck

stevenmaltby

11 sick in Yonkers with carbon monoxide poisoning

April 19, 2019 - 11:06 am
Categories: 

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) — Yonkers authorities are looking into a carbon monoxide incident in which 11 people were affected.

Yonkers police and fire officers arrived at an apartment on Coyle Place at about 8:22 a.m. Friday morning following reports of several unconscious people in the building.

Officers say 11 people were found suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning inside. They were discovered when a man who lived in the two family building came home and could not wake his family.

The victims were taken to local hospitals and trauma centers after being revived with oxygen at the scene.

No names have been released, but neighbors say it's hard to imagine what would have happened if the man had come home even minutes later.

"It's under investigation right now, but we believe it was the heating, the gas heating appliance, which was shut down. Con Ed is on the scene right now and they're doing a thorough investigation as well as PD and FD," Assistant Yonkers Fire Chief Edward Cucolo said.

The World Health Organization says anything less than 9 parts per million is safe, the Yonkers home had anywhere from 600 to 700 parts per million.

Like 1010 WINS on Facebook and follow @1010WINS on Twitter to get breaking news, traffic, and weather for New York City.